As you may have heard these words, “Charting,” ” Chart Prepared,” or ” Chart Not Prepared” while traveling in the Indian Railways.
Charting is the process by which the Railway Authority of India allocates vacant seats of other quotas to General / Tatkal quota. There are several quotas in the Indian Railways, under which empty seats are assigned.
General Rules for Chart Preparation
- The officials prepare the first chart for any train about 4 hours before the scheduled departure time of the train from the original station or remote location station.
- For the early morning trains chart is prepared the night before. A chart is prepared one night before the departure of trains which are to be left early in the morning.
- If the remaining seats in the first chart are empty, which are prepared 4 hours before departure, then the remaining seats are made available for booking.
- A final chart is made approximately 30 minutes before the train departed the station.
- In the final chart, some of the waiting list tickets are confirmed.
- Passengers are given berths and coach numbers in the final chart according to their status, either confirmed or RAC.
- E-tickets that are entirely on the waiting list automatically canceled.
- Fully confirmed tickets cannot be canceled after chart preparation.
- In the final chart, some travelers also get their status upgraded, and they get high-class accommodation at no extra charge.
What is Confirm PNR?
Passenger Name Record – PNR is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains personal information for a passenger and also contains the itinerary for a passenger.
Confirm PNR status assigned when the ticket was in the RAC and went to the confirmed status, but the seat number is not given. The seat number will be assigned after charting. Charting is done 4 hours before the departure of the train.