The Tatkal Scheme is a ticketing program established by Indian Railways. in this article we will discuss What is a Tatkal ticket? How to book Tatkal tickets? What is Tatkal ticket booking opening time? What are the timings for Tatkal booking online?
What is a Tatkal ticket?
Nowadays, tickets are booked 120 days in advance, for a scheduled journey but that is not possible when a person needs to travel in very short notice. In such a situation, it becomes a headache to book tickets. As a solution to the problem faced by the passengers, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has come up with the Tatkal scheme. This allows you to book your reservation for traveling on an urgent basis just 24 hours prior to your scheduled journey.
What are the timings for Tatkal booking?
Tatkal booking starts at 10:00 AM on the day before the day on which the train is scheduled to depart. The booking counter opens at 10:00 AM for air-conditioned and 11:00 AM for non-air-conditioned coaches of the train.
How to book a Tatkal ticket
Tatkal tickets can be booked online from the portal irctc.co.in or offline from any ticket reservation counter attached to a station. The easiest way is to log in to the IRCTC website five minutes before the opening time (10:00 AM for AC and 11:00 AM for non-AC). It is advised not to log in for an extended time or else you will see an error message.
Cancellation of Tatkal booking and refund
Tatkal booking can be canceled but the fare is non-refundable. A refund will be made by the Indian Railways under the following circumstances: —
- If the train is delayed by at least 3 hours at the station from where the train is scheduled to depart (if the station from where the train is scheduled to depart and the boarding station of the passenger are different).
- If the train is suddenly scheduled to run on a diverted route from the normal route and the passenger does not want to travel by that route.
- If the train has been diverted to some other route from the normal route and the boarding station of the passenger or the destination of the passenger or both the stations are not on the new diverted route.
- If the coach in which the Tatkal accommodations are earmarked is not attached to the train.
- If the passenger has not been provided the same class as mentioned by the passenger while booking and the passenger does not want to travel.
- If an individual is accommodated in the lower class, and the individual travels in the lower class, then the passenger will be given a refund of the difference in fare price.
Things to know about Tatkal booking
- Under Tatkal tickets, only four passengers can be booked on one Passenger Name Record (PNR) Number unlike normal tickets where six passengers are allowed but ID proof of only one passenger is enough which needs to be produced on demand.
- Between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM, the ticket agents and agents of IRCTC are restricted from booking Tatkal tickets, that time is strictly dedicated for individuals.
- It is mandatory for all individuals to enter details of their valid identity proof, which has to be carried and produced if demanded by any ticket checking agent, during the journey.
- The Tatkal tickets come at premium charges, as a result, they are more expensive than normal tickets but the rate of a Tatkal ticket fare is fixed at 10 percent of basic fare for second class and 30 percent of basic fare for all other classes in each train.
- Tatkal tickets are issued for actual distance of travel in place of end-to-end as a result, one seat is booked multiple for times, for different passengers throughout the journey.