We all do board trains, either regularly or occasionally to reach our destinations. However, some facts are still unknown to most of us. With the introduction of an online ticket booking system, there are certain perks too. It offers various facilities to the passengers before their journey. One such thing is the changing of boarding stations. Yes, the Indian Railways provides its passengers with the option of changing the boarding station of a booked train via the IRCTC e-ticketing website or the IRCTC app. Such an option allows greater flexibility to the passenger in case he/she wishes to board the train from a different station other than the already booked or pre-decided one. However, there are certain limitations too. Let us look at them in brief.
- The facility of changing the boarding station is exclusively for bookings done online only. Indian Railways doesn’t offer this facility for the tickets booked from the railway counters.
- Change of boarding point is allowed only once for each travel.
- If a passenger wishes to change his boarding point, he cannot do so before 24 hours of the scheduled departure of the train. This follows that once a passenger changes his boarding point, he no longer reserves the right to board from the former station. Thus, if he is found traveling without proper rights to travel, he will have to pay the requisite fare. Besides, he might also be penalized for such an act.
- One cannot avail of the boarding point changing facility is the ticket is seized.
- There is no provision for boarding point change for the PNRs with VIKALP option.
- In the case of I-tickets, online boarding point change is not permissible.
- It is also not allowed in case of a current booking ticket.
How to change the boarding point online through the IRCTC website
Now, let us have a sneak-peak on how to change the boarding point online through the IRCTC website.
The steps are given below.
STEP 1: Visit the IRCTC website and login with your ID and password.
STEP 2: Click on the ‘Booked Ticket History’ option.
STEP 3: Select the train through which you are about to make the journey.
STEP 4: You will get an option saying ‘ Change Boarding Point’. Click on it.
STEP 5: After clicking, you will be redirected to the ‘Change Boarding Point’ page. A drop-down menu showing a list of stations will appear under the ‘Change Boarding Station’ section. From there, select the new boarding point of your choice.
STEP 6: You will get a display of your successful change in boarding point.
Changing the boarding station via the IRCTC app
There is a similar approach for changing the boarding station via the IRCTC app. For your convenience, we are mentioning the steps for this too.
STEP 1: Go to the official IRCTC app, IRCTC RAIL Connect.
STEP 2: Log in to your IRCTC account using the credentials that you provided while doing the ticket booking.
STEP 3: There will be a ‘Booked Ticket History’ option. Go to it.
STEP 4: Next you will get a list of trains from where you will have to select the train for which you are going to alter the boarding station.
STEP 5: On successful train selection, a ‘Change Boarding Point’ option will appear. Click on it.
STEP 6: You will find a list of stations available for that particular train. From that, select your intended boarding station. Your boarding point will be automatically changed thereafter.
By now most of your doubts regarding the boarding point change must have been resolved. Boarding station change is indeed a super easy and convenient method that you can access at the comfort of your home. So the next time you wish to board from a different station, don’t panic, just follow this simple guide and enjoy a happy journey.